Dr. Saad Saad on Things Children Try to Swallow and What to Do To Help Prevent It

Dr. Saad Saad is a pediatric surgeon who has used his skill and expertise to remove foreign objects from the esophagus and trachea of more than 1,000 children in his 40 plus year career. In his time as a surgeon, he has removed everything from food to a toothbrush from the bodies of children ranging from 6 months of age to 14 years old. In a recent interview  Found Here  he discussed many of his experiences and offered some advice to parents and caregivers of children.

 

Children are naturally curious and will often put things in their mouth and can easily ingest them. This holds to be especially true for young children and can often be a difficult time for parents. Normally, the objects a child ingests will simply pass through to the stomach without issue, however, sometimes these objects become lodged In the food pipe or go down the windpipe into the lungs. Signs that may indicate that this has occurred can include trouble breathing, wheezing, or trouble swallowing.

 

Three objects Dr. Saad commonly dealt with were coins, peanuts, and hot dogs. Smaller objects such as peanuts typically get lodged in a child’s windpipe. larger objects like a coin will normally get caught in the child’s food pipe.

 

With children under 6 years of age, turn the child upside down, holding them by their legs tap on their back. most times the object will pop out following this procedure. With older children, perform the Heimlich maneuver to clear the object from the child’s throat. In either case, if these maneuvers do not help, the child needs to be taken to the nearest emergency room immediately. Under no circumstances should a parent attempt to scoop the object out of a child’s throat with a finger, doing so can push the object further into the child’s body.

 

Dr. Saad says he considers batteries to be the most dangerous objects a child can get lodged in their esophagus. Due to their small size children can easily swallow them and once they are ingested batteries can leak acid, leading to severe burns to the stomach or esophagus of the child.

 

Dr. Saad offered three rules to help prevent a child from getting foreign objects trapped in their food or windpipe. To begin with, never allow children less than 2 years of age to have hot dogs. Hot dogs can completely block the food pipe of younger children. Next, do not permit children under 7 years of age to eat peanuts. Last, carefully observe children at play to ensure they keep inappropriate objects out of their mouth. Learn more : https://angel.co/saad-saad-2

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *